Monday, February 17, 2014

When you start too many new things at once....

Old things get dropped. You go a little crazy. You wonder if everything's going to fall apart.
"My" new town has welcomed me here with the worst winter in 20 years. I mostly sit in my home office and make gloomy, movie-inspired observations about the weather.
"The Day After Tomorrow was actually a movie about polar vortexes. Just wait, the lake and river are going to freeze over completely, and giant wolves are going to invade the city and we're going to be evacuated to Mexico."
"Remember in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers when it didn't stop snowing until June?"

There's a document on my computer (and backed up to Dropbox) titled "dissertation proposal". Right now, it's 9 pages long. The intro section has been emailed off  to my adviser.

I have a serious crush on our neighborhood Episcopal church, and I'm waiting to see if it turns into something more serious. This is kind of crazy, since I haven't had a church I'd call my own in nearly five years. But....they've added Spanish to their liturgy, since 40% of the households in their zipcode are Spanish-speaking.  They have copies of the Sunday's gospel available in Polish and Spanish upon request. The people are friendly, and don't glare at visitors. There's a churchmember with hot pink dreadlocks. The prayer requests and church activities show that they're seriously plugged into their neighborhood+ city and aware of injustice around the world. They talk about Jesus and Sin and Redemption and the Resurrection a lot.  In the Prayers of the People, when the bulletin says "add your own requests silently or aloud," people actually add requests out loud. The bulletin is easy to follow, they choose good hymns, they offer Italian classes for children....like I said, it's a major crush. Of course, the rector didn't preach either of the two Sundays we visited, so I feel a bit like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's the only church we've visited here, it can't possibly be as good as it seems....I'll probably get tied up and held hostage in the parish hall if we go to coffee hour.

No comments: