Friday, September 28, 2012

Luxury

A while ago, one of my favorite bloggers wrote a post about how peaches make her feel rich. And it made me realize that my garden,such as it is, makes me feel unbelievably wealthy and privileged.

003

That's a snapshot after watering a few weeks ago... We're lucky to have this small space on our covered porch where I'm able to keep a handful of plants growing.  It may not look like much....but some days, I have the luxury of being able to step outside, and pick what's for dinner.


012

Glossy green spinach malabar  quickly becomes "spinach" white bean soup.

001

Or a round mauve eggplant

010

becomes homemade baba ganoush.

004

These are  moments I savor- when I'm able to just step outside the door, take something growing, and turn it into something that nourishes us. To eat food that you've grown yourself feels like both the greatest accomplishment and the greatest indulgence. When you're a pair of busy graduate students living in an apartment in the city, those feelings are magnified.

No comments: