Thursday, August 30, 2012

A year ago today

This time last year, I was in the middle of prepping for a colonoscopy, 24 hours before a diagnosis that would change my life.
It's been a year, and I don't think about it every day.I usually manage to remember a good 2/3 of my meds, and I've figured out how to actually afford both my medicine and rent. I'm slowly learning how to feel comfortable in my own skin again, my marriage hasn't completely fallen apart and I haven't dropped out of school.
I'm grateful to have come this far, to have survived and lived the best I could have.
I don't know what to say...
I am still so fearful of so much. If a day goes by that I don't think about colon cancer and the possibility of having my colon removed, it's the exception.
But I am here, and have come this far. There are more years to live, with a disease that is far from predictable. There is grace, and hope, and fear and pain.
It is life.

No comments: